Big year. Huge year, really.
I will turn 30 years old, and so will my husband. We’ll celebrate our first year of marriage together. A two-week vacation is in the works. We’ll become aunt and uncle for the first time. The likelihood of moving out of our first home we made together is rising, too.
There are a lot of BIG events happening to us as a couple, and I couldn’t be happier to celebrate them with my one-and-only. But I also need to focus on ME more.
I put a lot of “me” aside last year as we planned our destination wedding and wedding celebration back home, made a life as a married couple, and figured out who we were as husband and wife. We’re still working on being good partners, and I doubt that will ever stop (that’s a good thing!).
To help me figure out how to “do me” more this year, I need to document my goals so I can keep track of my progress. Some of these goals are big and lofty, and some are small but powerful. I’m sure this isn’t the end of the list, but I am making a promise to myself – here, publicly – that I will accomplish these goals in one way or another.
2016 personal goals:
- Read 12 books or more – This one should be relatively easy since my co-workers and I started a book club last month! Those books are going to be good because some will be out of my comfort zone, picked by other club members. I am also adding in more business/career-related books to my list to help expand my skill set and knowledge-base.
- Write for my blog regularly – I’m sure I will be able to write regularly, but forming my subjects is what I’ve been struggling with. My thoughts here are if I write more, the topics and subjects will come organically.
- Conquer more cooking fears – Cooking has become something I need to do lately. I want to turn that into want item. Last weekend I successfully made salmon for the first time. This was a big win for me, and I felt so proud of myself for finally just going for it. I want to feel that way more.
- Organize my office – Seems simple enough, but I am a MESS in my home-office. I need a zen workplace, which will allow me to work remotely for my job better, as well as for my writing.
- Paint and draw – The last time I did this for leisure was well over a year ago. I lost my creative passion in the form of painting and drawing, and I need to find it again. I think having my office set up well will surely help this.
- Learn to say “no” – I love being with friends and family, doing activities. I’m absolutely a social butterfly. But these have taken over my free-time. I need to learn to decline invites more, and not feel bad about it. I need to spend more time at home.
- Stop buying unnecessary clutter – As part of this goal, I promised myself to not purchase any clothing or accessories for the entire month of January. I have a closet that is overfull of clothing that I haven’t worn ever or in a while. I am learning to appreciate what I have while simultaneously knocking out some financial goals.
I’m sure this is just the beginning of my list of 2016 goals, but we all have to start somewhere! I’ll be reporting back on my progress as I make it, and I’m excited to see where I end up at the end of the year!
Do you track your goals? What are they? Share in the comments to inspire others!